- Neal Lane is the new director of the U.S. Office of Science and Technology Policy. He was director of the National Science Foundation. Rita Colwell replaces Lane as NSF director. Formerly president of the University of Maryland Biotechnology Institute, she will be the first woman to head NSF.
- Robert Brown has been named provost of Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He was the school's engineering dean.
- Ted Bickart is the new president of Colorado School of Mines. He was engineering dean at Michigan State University.
- Gregory Farrington has been appointed president of Lehigh University. He was dean of the school of engineering and applied science at the University of Pennsylvania.
- C.D. Mote, Jr. is the new president of the University of Maryland, College Park. He was vice-chancellor of university relations at the University of California at Berkeley, where he held an endowed chair in mechanical systems and previously chaired the mechanical engineering department.
- Phillip Laplante has been named president of Pennsylvania Institute of Technology. He was dean of the Technology and Engineering Center, which is jointly owned by New Jersey Institute of Technology and Burlington County College.
- Al-Hassan Musah has been appointed dean of St. Cloud University's college of science and engineering. He was interim dean.
- Paul Reichardt has been named provost of the University of Alaska, Fairbanks. He was the university's dean of science, engineering, and mathematics.
- Robert Altenkirch has been named vice-president for research at Mississippi State University. He was dean of the college of engineering and architecture at Washington State University.
- Ilene Busch-Vishniac is the new engineering dean at Johns Hopkins University. She was a mechanical engineering professor at the University of Texas at Austin.
- At William Marsh Rice University, Sidney Burrus has been named engineering dean. He was Rice's Maxfield and Oshman Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering and director of its Computer and Information Technology Institute.
- Eugene Wong has been appointed head of the National Science Foundation's engineering directorate. Wong was chief scientist at Vision Software Tools, Inc., a start-up company that produces software products for automating business processes. He is also an emeritus professor of electrical engineering and computer sciences at the University of California at Berkeley.
- Michael Klein is Rutgers University's new engineering dean. He was a chemical engineering professor at the University of Delaware.
- George Simmons has been appointed dean of the Seattle University school of science and engineering. He was assistant vice-president for research at the University of Idaho.
- Earl Yarbrough is the new provost at Virginia State University. He was dean of the school of technology and professor of industrial technology at North Carolina A&T State University.
- Jerome Atkins has been named dean of technology at State University of New York, Regents College. He formerly served as assistant dean and professor of industrial engineering at Morgan State University.
- Fred Akl is the new engineering dean at Widener University. He was a civil engineering professor at Louisiana Tech University.
- At the University of Wyoming, Jay Puckett has been named dean of the graduate school. He was a professor of civil and architectural engineering there.
- Frank Incropera is the new engineering dean at the University of Notre Dame. He was head of mechanical engineering at Purdue University.
- Kevin Parker, a University of Rochester professor of electrical engineering and radiology, has been named dean of the university's school of engineering and applied sciences.
- Don Liles, associate director of the University of Texas at Arlington's Automation and Robotics Research Institute, has been named chair of the university's department of industrial and manufacturing systems engineering.
- David Finley, a professor in the chemical engineering department at Tri-State University, has been appointed department chair.
- David Devier has been named dean of industrial and engineering technologies at Owens Community College. He was chair of technology at Ohio Northern University.
Let ASEE PRISM know about major appointments related to engineering and engineering technology education. Send information to About People, ASEE PRISM, 1818 N St., NW, Suite 600, Washington, DC 20036; e-mail: email@example.com.
return to PRISM online; or November PRISM online